Re: Has poetry ever got you laid?

From: pandora <pandora_at_peak.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:46:22 -0700

> > Did the reading aloud of poetry to a female ever tip the balance in
> > your favor for a a roll in the hay? It has only happened to me once.
>
> I don't think poetry, per se, has ever gotten anyone laid. Women are
> often attracted to men who appear sensitive, and even a guy who can't
> write his way out of a five cent condom probably looks pretty
> sensitive when reading publicly.

Or even privately. They are *especially* attractive IF they write a poem just for YOU. My husband did that way back when........Certainly made me take a second and third look at him. I didn't marry him for his poetry, but his poetry got him more attention than the other several guys who were after me at the time.

Poets no doubt do make pretty good
> lovers. We don't have cell phones going off with the latest quotes on
> stocks we're watching. We aren't afraid of commitment (at least for a
> week). And we've actually thought about women's bodies -- quietly,
> shamelessly -- and sex provides a way to prove or disprove theories
> about, say, whether constellations rearranged themselves when a woman
> comes in the clearing of a woods.

Do ALL poets make love in the woods? I've always wondered about that.

> Seriously, though, after about a hundred times, you begin to wonder is
> it's you or just the "I slept with a poet" t-shirt they really want.

Don't have the t-shirt, but still have the poet. 39 years and counting......

Marg Received on Tue Jul 06 2004 - 19:46:22 CDT