Re: Oracle on Linux, a new bie's question

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:33:04 GMT

Prem K Mehrotra wrote:
> I just installed Red Hat linux 9.0 on my PC. I now want to install
> Oracle9i.
> When I read Oracle's documentation on supported Linux - it does not
> mention
> Red Hat linux 9.0, it refers to Redhat Advanced Serverand Redhat
> Enterprise Linux AS 3:
> he following are the system requirements for this release:
>
> *
>
> Hardware requirement:
>
> Linux x86
> *
>
> Operating system requirement
>
> SuSE SLES 7, SuSE SLES8, Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1, or
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 3
>
> Does that mean Oracle9i will not work on Redhat Linux 9.0? As for as I
> know Redhat Linux
> Enterprise is not free? Are there any free versions of Linux on which
> Oracle 9i and 10G are supported?
>
> I am hoping I do not have to reinstall Red Hat Linux 9.0
>

> Thanks a lot,

It will work fine on RH9 as well as SuSE and Mandrake desktop versions, you may want to check out Howards fine site at www.dizwell.com as well as the one that Christian suggested for additional instructions. If you insist on one of the server versions you can also try SuSE's Sles 8 90 day trial version available on the Novell site.

hth Received on Tue Jul 06 2004 - 11:33:04 CDT