Re: Setting ulimit values in files on Redhat AS 2.1

From: Scott Lurndal <scott_at_slp53.sl.home>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:44:23 GMT

Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.valid> writes:

>> [*] unless of course, you log in as root.
>But...
>
>init execs /etc/profile which then execs the shell of your choice.

No. init execs getty/mgetty/inetd. Inetd->{telnetd/rlogind/rshd}/[m]getty invoke /bin/login to request the password and validate it. /bin/login invokes the shell. The shell sources /etc/profile. The shell always runs with the UID of the user who logged in.

>That's why it's always run, irrespective of login shell, and was ( and I
>am certain of this! ), run as root.

This is incorrect. Please, I spent 10 years with the SVR3/4/Unixware source code. Trust me, I know how it works.

scott Received on Mon Jul 05 2004 - 20:44:23 CDT