Re: Any way to disable a partition?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 08:39:39 +0000 (UTC)

You could exchange the partition with an empty table. Then leave the (now-empty) partition in place while you take the (now large) table offline.

When you want the large data set back in place you bring it on-line and exchange it back in.

There are a couple of side-effects with
this that you need to watch out for:

    It's probably only viable if you have no global indexes.

    Exchange is very expensive if you have PKs and UKs in     place and validated when you exchange

    Have a string of empty partitions in the past might     "confuse" the optimizer.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st