Re: Setting ulimit values in files on Redhat AS 2.1

From: Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.valid>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:44:46 +1200

Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.valid> writes:
>

>>Scott Lurndal wrote:

>>>This will only work, of course, if you wish to lower the values, not
>>>if you with to increase them. To increase them, pam is the right
>>>answer.
>>>
>>>scott

>>Personally, I'd put them in /etc/profile. This is always run for all
>>users, and with root privileges. That way, you can raise them up to the max.
>

> /etc/profile is executed in the context of the logged in user, not root.
> You cannot raise the ulimit using /etc/profile, only lower it.
>

> scott
>

>>Steve

I was about to deny 'hotly' this statement, but thought to check first. Glad I did! As you may have guessed, this used to be the way it was done, at least on commercial *nixes ( Solaris, HP-UX, DEC Ultrix ).

Either it has been changed, or Linux differs from the old System V in this way.

It's always good to learn something new, even at the weekend!

Cheers,

Steve Received on Fri Jul 02 2004 - 16:44:46 CDT