Re: upgrading server from mono to biprocessor

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2004 11:28:24 -0700

Pascal GUINET <pascal.guinet_at_inpes.sante.fr> wrote in message news:<40e524fd$0$21820$afc38c87_at_news.easynet.fr>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm planing to upgrade my Oracle server by adding a second processor.
>
> My questions concern only Oracle. I have all necessary informations
> about Windows.
> What about it if I make this operation ? Is there any technical advice ?
> Is there any licence advice ? What should I take care of ? Is it
> possible to do (should be first question :-)?
>
> Oracle is 8.1 on Windows 2000.
>
> regards

Be prepared for much less than 2x performance. MS Windows doesn't seem to be all that great for SMP.

My advice, especially if you have to run the Windows OS, would be 1. spend the hardware money on a faster CPU rather than a second processor.
2. upgrade your version of ORACLE.

ORACLE actually may be making it easier on the budget in order to upgrade. If you held back due to high prices, check with them again. You may be in for a pleasant surprise.

  ED Received on Fri Jul 02 2004 - 13:28:24 CDT