Re: Disabling logging on tables

From: Chloe Crowder <chloe.crowder_at_bl.uk>
Date: 2 Jul 2004 07:24:44 -0700

Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40E531FB.321E_at_yahoo.com>...
> Chloe Crowder wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > is there any way (in 8.1.7) of switching off logging on specific
> > tables? We have a system where the redo log IO rate is of concern
> > (lots of log file sync waits being caused). A significant amount of
> > the logging is on tables which are only used to store "session" data,
> > which would not be of use or interest in the event of a recovery being
> > required. The business has agreed that these tables are not required
> > to be recovered (they are in fact cleared out on a regular basis
> > anyway).
> >
> > Looking at the ALTER TABLE NOLOGGING command, this only seems to
> > impact bulk-load type operations.
> >
> > Unfortunately the system is a third-party application, so I have no
> > control over how the application operates, but any other bright ideas
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > Chloe Crowder
>
> 'log file sync' are often due to an excessive amount of commits (as
> opposed to purely excessive work, and hence excessive redo).
>
> Could the tables concerned by temporary ? or are they more persistent
> than a session?

Connor

It almost certainly true that there are too many commits - however I have no control over application and no real influence over its future. Unfortunately we are the largest customer of this package and so run into problems other people don't seem to have. There are a huge list of things which I suspect could be done better if they wanted to.

Reducing the redo would have additional benefits, such as reducing the archiving overhead - current 1.0-1.2 GB per hour during the main body of the day.

Chloe Received on Fri Jul 02 2004 - 09:24:44 CDT