Re: Tablespace Offline on Oracle 817i

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:36:59 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:24:21 -0700, wy wrote:

> The database increases by 50-80g each month and the recent data which
> are readonly are saved in primary storage device(harddisk).
> when the data are older than one year,we want to move them from
> primary storage device to secondary storage device(CDs) instead of
> importing & exporting.
> The tables are partitioned for each month data.
> Any suggustions?

Yes. Plan that as a project. Make sure that you can restore data, even if the original table is modified. Nobody on this forum will make the data archiving plan for you for free. It's a project, and judging by described growth, it's a big and urgent project. So, see what do you want to achieve, and what resources do you have for such purpose. Define the goal of the project: how much money do you want to save and how much storage do you want to relinquish? Will the freed storage be worth the effort? How many man-hours do you need for the project, what is the cost of man-hour and how much more work will be needed in order to maintain the archiving process? Do you need archiving process or just one time solution? It's not a project for a beginner, that much I can say without seeing the scope, deadlines and deliverables.

--
Well-behaved women seldom make history