Re: System Requirements

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Jul 2004 14:08:23 -0700

soodvarun_at_yahoo.com (Dexter Singh) wrote in message news:<2e92e542.0407010606.4e27a279_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi there !
> I am buying a VB6 application with Oracle 9i as back end.
>
> we need the following things on a PC for a CLIENT: -
> 1)Oracle9i Client.
> 2) Crystal Reports.
> 3) Windows 2000 (Oracle 9i supports only win 2000 or xp)
> 4) VB IDE (Optional)
>
> All my PCs are Celerons 500 MHz and wiht 128 MB RAM.
> My vendor suggests me to upgrade all my PCs to P4's which is a very
> expensive thing for me to do.
>
> Do I really need P4's?

Not really, but the minimums in the docs, and even the recommended, really don't do all that well:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A95494_01.pdf . 128M definitely doesn't make it in my experience. The minimums in that doc don't include CR, of course.

All my customers machines that I use for clients have at least 500M and 2.4GHz, and I do have a vague memory of being very happy getting rid of slower things.

> I think that I really dont' need all that.
> Do i ?
>
> Thanks in advance for replying.
> Varun Sood.

jg