Re: Export 8i (8859p1) to 9i (AL32UTF8)

From: Michael Krolewski <m_krolewski_at_netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:00:20 -0700

I did such an export about 1 year ago.

Three things come to mind.

One the export and import both used 9i binaries. I actually export the rdbms from one machine onto another machine. Both the import and export were running on the 9i machine. Export works fine remotely if you have sufficient bandwidth.

Two, I believe you have to run a script to change the export configuration from 8i to 9i. What script, I cannot recall. I do recall that trying to export with 9i exp on a 8i database will generate an error, which can be tracked down in metalink.

Three, one can do the transfer without a intermediate file.

In Unix, create a fifo file eg mkfifo /tmp/export.dmp Start the export first, routing the output of the export into this "file" Read the import from the same "file".

Basically the system controls the reading and writing into the buffer represented by the fifo buffer.

Other helps and hints.

I exported the schema with no data into a standard file and edited the file to fit the "new" schema. This allowed me to fix up tablespaces, indexes etc. I developed some simple perl scripts to parse the schema into tables, indexes and other sql. I created the schema, then moved the data, then applied the constraints.

I also scripted the transfer, often moving only one user at a time to control for errors, etc.

Michael Krolewski Received on Thu Jul 01 2004 - 13:00:20 CDT