Re: System Requirements

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:48:02 GMT

Any cookbook answer is only guessig. You need to replace your vendor with one who knows how to benchmark AND communicate. They should have provided definitive proof, backed by tests, to verify this requirement.

You appear to be doing doing the right thing and homing on a central Oracle database. The database machine needs to carry the database load.

These machines are not big enough to carry the Oracle database. but should be OK for an Oracle client. I'd have no concern about the 500 MHz (other than users whning about slow interaction, as W2K will feel slow on those machines) - I run some 500 MHz laptops with the Oracle client.

I'm not sure you can install the Oracle client on a 128 MB machine using the Oracle Universal Installer. Suggest you consider upgrading memory to at least 256 MB. (After installation, you might be able to reduce to 128 MB, with the acknowledgement that post-install could become painfull.) 512 MB is not an unreasonable target for memory in any PC, and possibly more important than processor speed.

Everything I've seen around Crystal Reports and Windows 2000 indicates they enjoy large amounts of memory and will use whatever becomes available. Based on out-of-date experience, this is also true for VB IDE.

However, you need to realize that the Oracle Client part is fairly light weight. For your purposes, running only the Oracle Client on these, the question is more appropriate for a Crystal Reports expert than an Oracle expert.

HTH
/Hans Received on Thu Jul 01 2004 - 10:48:02 CDT