Oracle 8i OPS migration to Oracle 9i R2

From: Gautrak <gautrak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Jul 2004 05:25:02 -0700

Hi,

We need to migrate Oracle 8.1.7 OPS database on solaris to Oracle 9i R2 single instance on new solaris box. Our db size is 100 GB but used space is approx 40 GB. time is not a constraint. what are the pros and cons of each of the following approaches : 1. install 8i on new box, copy data files, make other necessary changes and up this database in single instance mode. Then install oracle 9i on this box, upgrade 8i db to 9i. 2. Directly install 9i on new box, export user wise from 8i original db and import in 9i. take care of public synonyms, roles etc which are not covered in this export/import.

Or should we follow another better approach ?

TIA,
Gautrak Received on Thu Jul 01 2004 - 07:25:02 CDT