Connection from Workstation to DB in Server. How to?

From: German Saer <gsaer_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 04:27:49 GMT

I'm trying to establish a connection with an Oracle 8.1.7 DB. (The one it comes with it).

I have installed Oracle in the Server and Oracle Client in my workstation. But I don't know how to connect to it using ODBC or whatever I have to in order to achive this.

My Server is an Intel 400Mhz, 512MB RAM, 40Gb Windows 2000 Professional My Workstation is an Intel 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM, 80Gb Windows 2000 Professional.

...and both installations were successfull. No errors at all.

I've read something about listeners but I can't comprehend exactly what to do to connect to the DB from the WS to the server. The use of this database is going to be multiple: Access, Foxpro, VB, Web apps, etc. If I establish a connection to the DB via ODBC I will figure the rest.

As you noticed, I'm very unfamiliar with Oracle. But I have a good enough programming, SQL and DB manipulation experience.

Thanks in advance for your help,

German Saer
gsaer_at_hotmail.com
Orlando, FL Received on Wed Jun 30 2004 - 23:27:49 CDT