Re: Database Maintenance Routines

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:34:25 -0700

Prescilla Nguyen wrote:

> I am coming over from the SQL Server side, and I am trying to put
> together a maintenance routine for my Oracle databases. Typically,
> for SQL Server this would consist of the following:
>
> 1) Database Backup (and transaction log backups)
> 2) Daily DBCCs:
> a) CHECKDB - Verifies integrity of databases and reports any
> corruption
> b) DBREINDEX - Rebuilds indexes
> 3) Verify space and size
>
> I can't find a lot about checking for corruption within Oracle (except
> for exp to dev/null and dbverify). Are these commonly used
> techniques? Any suggestions, documentation, or scripts would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Prescilla ;)

Don't do anything in Oracle without reading the concept, architecture, and installation docs available on-line. Best to look at http://tahiti.oracle.com and docs.oracle.com.

As suggested by others use RMAN for all backup and recovery and do so after building an OEM database.

Logical corruption is discovered by using export and with a variety of tools among them the dbv (database verify) executable.

Most index rebuilds are mythological nonsense. Don't do them unless you have a compelling reason to do so. If Howard Rogers or Richard Foote weight in the one issue ... listen to what they have to say.

Space, size, etc. as well as resource usage is all available in the data dictionary. Look at the wide range of dba_ and v_$ views.

Go to http://www.ca.com and order a data dictionary poster or send a request for one to the Puget Sound Oracle Users Group. But the group will expect a donation at least generous enough to cover postage.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu