Database Maintenance Routines

From: Prescilla Nguyen <prescilla_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 30 Jun 2004 11:29:40 -0700

I am coming over from the SQL Server side, and I am trying to put together a maintenance routine for my Oracle databases. Typically, for SQL Server this would consist of the following:

  1. Database Backup (and transaction log backups)
  2. Daily DBCCs:
  3. CHECKDB - Verifies integrity of databases and reports any corruption
  4. DBREINDEX - Rebuilds indexes
  5. Verify space and size

I can't find a lot about checking for corruption within Oracle (except for exp to dev/null and dbverify). Are these commonly used techniques? Any suggestions, documentation, or scripts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Prescilla ;) Received on Wed Jun 30 2004 - 13:29:40 CDT