Re: pga_aggregate_target plus sort_area_size set in init.ora

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:02:33 +0800

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> You don't need to delete sort_area_size to use the
> pga_aggregate_target. You need only make sure
> that you have set workarea_size_policy to AUTO.
>
> It is possible that it has been left there because some
> sessions invoke
> alter session set workarea_size_policy = manual;
>
> In the absence of a specific value, this would
> cause such sessions to fall back to 64K
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
> Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st
>
> "Johannes" <johannes_at_merckle.de> wrote in message
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I hava an installation of Oracle 9.2 with pga_aggregate_target set in
> > init.ora.
> > As this parameter replaces e.g. sort_area_size and hash_area_size and
> other
> > pga relevant parameters in init.ora (in dedicated server systems),
> > I don't know why my predecessor let this parameters set in init.ora.
> > They seem to be used setting this memory pools, becaus using "show
> parameter
> > xxx"
> > prompts the assigned values.
> > I think I have to delete this parameters (sort_area_size,... and all other
> > pga relevant parameters)
> > to handle pga_aggregate_target correct.
> > What do you think about?
> > Thank you all!
> >
> > Johannes

Can't remember if its 9.0 or 9.2, but I think one or both of those versions doesn't support pga_agg_ for shared server and thus falls back to s_a_s et al.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"