Re: ORA-00018: maximum number of sessions exceeded

From: Christian Antognini <christian.antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:59:04 +0200

Tom

> In my pfile that i used to create my spfile at db creation i don't
actually
> set the session limit. I set the max number of processes
> but nothing to do with the sessions.

The maximum number of sessions is computed from the maximum number of processes.
According to documentation: (1.1 * PROCESSES) + 5

> I can see that the maximum sessions is showing as 555 from a
> show parameter query but is it possible to increase that without
> bouncing the database?

Has you can see below, the parameter cannot be changed on a running instance.

SQL> SELECT issys_modifiable FROM v$parameter WHERE name = 'sessions';

ISSYS_MOD

FALSE
> I presume i can just put a sessions=value into my
> pfile and create a new spfile from that and restart
> the datbase if it not possible to do it dynamically?

If you work with a spfile you should change the value directly in it instead of recreating the it.

ALTER SYSTEM SET sessions = 1000 SCOPE=SPFILE;

Chris

"Tom" <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com> wrote in message news:1088587702.9334.0_at_iris.uk.clara.net...
> Hi,
>
> 9.2.0.4
> RHEL 3
>
> Just got an alert from my db that had me need to restart it - Looking in
the trc files i notice that i had a