Re: oracle9i performance on Windows Server

From: Paul Brewer <nothing_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:36:41 +0100

> > On 26 Jun 2004 10:59:01 -0700, premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com (Prem K
> > Mehrotra) wrote:
> >
> > >My managemnt wants to use Windows servers instead of UNIX servers to
> > >save costs. LINUX is not an option because my data center does not
support
> > >it. We are looking into buying HP's ProLiant G2 BL20p model of servers.
It has
> > >2 CPU's. We will get maximum memory of 8GB.
> > >
> > >We may get 1 or 2 internal drives. My database is not that big
~10GB.
> > >However, 100 of users will be concurrently accessing it. Also, it will
> > >be used for OLTP as well as for reporting.
> > >
> > >I have not worked with Windows server earlier. Are there benchmarks
avaiable
> > >for WIindows server vs HP UNIx servers. I have nothing against using
Windows
> > >Servers, just want to make sure performnace will not be an issue.
> > >

> > >Thank you.
> > >
> > >Prem
> >

> > Google is your friend as usual. Recently (IIRC Howard Rogers)
> > conducted a comparative study between Linux and Windoze.
> > Needless to say Linux was much faster.
> >
> > Note also you need Windows Advanced Server to make use of any memory
> > beyond 4 G at all, and Dead Connection Detection will not work, and
> > prespawned servers will also not work.
> > You may be in for some unpleasant suprises.
> > By design the Windows O/S has limited scalability unlike Unix.
> >
> > Please make sure you have your management sign a letter you aren't
> > responsible for any performance issues, which result from the platform
> > swap.
>
> "Dead Connection Detection will not work"
> Sybrand speaketh the truth here.
>
> nothing like a user that is blocked but is holding locks hitting
> just did, slamming right into the locks held by their now zombied
> session.
>
> logjam.
>
> be prepared to do some database babysitting, and rolling a routine to
> (ora)kill zombies.
>
> this is without a doubt the number one PITA running on win32.
>
> -bdbafh

Wow. I'm astonished. I must have been leading a life of luxury.

Recent anecdote:

We run Oracle 817 and 912 on hpux and Solaris. An anxious lead developer rang me on Friday evening. "I'm sorry, Paul; I submitted a stupid SQL select against Prod. I'm worried it won't finish, and will mess up batch jobs/shutdown/backups". "Don't worry, Greg", quoth I. "This is Oracle; you'll be OK. Just ctrl-alt-delete, kill your TOAD session, go home and enjoy your weekend. The database will clean up". And of course it did, as it has every time since at least 1997.

Do I now have to start worrying again in this scenario if the instance is running on Winsucks?

Regards,
Paul Received on Tue Jun 29 2004 - 15:36:41 CDT