Re: SQL Server to Oracel

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:46:02 +1000

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0406281510.22063acb_at_posting.google.com...

> Not to mention his "book..."

It's delicious, isn't it? I mean, here's a man who blasts everyone for not being able to spell, type or grasp grammar, who comes out with such gems as:

"For tuning to be effective, we must identify these sources and find ways to alleviate them" (I've heard of alleviating pain, but alleviating *sources*?!)
"This book blends tuning techniques with practical details that is hard to find anywhere" (Yup, I like sentences which is making mistakes regarding number)
"Trademarks names appear throughout the book" (Trademark names... or Trademarks appear... but not... well, you get the idea) "Otherwise, consider to increase SHARED_POOL_SIZE." ("Consider to..."?????)

Slightly more technically, we have this gem: "you can increase the size of the buffer cache by increasing the size of the db_block_buffers configuration parameter" (Not even close for 9i... remember, this book is called 'Oracle 9i Performance Tuning with Omlet'! Apparently, the good doctor has never heard of db_cache_size. As Joel says, "Dr" Amjad is living in the mid-nineties)

Actually, one wonders where he got his doctorate from. "Doctorates R Us" in central Mysore, I would have to guess -particularly since he cites it *after* his OCP!!

Regards
HJR