Re: Why?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:27:44 +1000

<omlet_at_omlet.org> wrote in message

> HJR, you are really dumb!

Quite possibly.

> Oracle data scenters use Network Appliance filers that are basically
> built with RAID4 technology - similar to RAID5.

RAID4 isn't RAID5, otherwise it wouldn't be a number out, would it? And in any case, so what?
That Oracle data centres have made wrong choices in their storage mechanisms doesn't of itself validate those mechanisms.

> Please do not generalize! Most RAID boxes use large caches and do the
> writing using xx-stage algorithms your alikes are not fit to
> understand.

Large caches mask the write penalty problem. They don't make it go away. And large caches have a habit of making RAID not an 'Inexpensive' option, which is presumably why the "I" got redefined to mean 'Independent".

> to mirror; to stripe; to stripe mirrors; to mirror stripes; I bet your
> expertise with these are as shallow as your knowledge of access
> methods, optimizers and/or plans.
> Apardon my response DOC! But please realize your reply is full of ....

What a funny little man you are.

HJR Received on Mon Jun 28 2004 - 15:27:44 CDT