Re: Why?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:09:29 GMT

Hans Forbrich wrote:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>

>>>No database should run RAID5.
>>
>>Why?

> See http://www.baarf.com/ for a genreal discussion
>
> /Hans

Do you know why they call if BAARF? Because after you read it you will... barf. I have still not found anyone who has been able to - through os-level stats - quantify this supposed "write" penalty on real computers using SAN technology and latest storage technology. If you are talking about that (AMD/INTEL) server with n-internal IDE's then maybe. You can show all the math "proving" a point, but as you and I well know, what is theoretical and what is real are quite different from "server" to "server". 90% of all database applications out there would never see using RAID5 as a problem or bottleneck.

Michael Austin. Received on Mon Jun 28 2004 - 15:09:29 CDT