Re: Oracle 9i/W2K, starting db under different user account

From: cqmman <cqmman_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:26:21 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:40e06aa3$0$16103$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> > You didn't answer it, you asked where in the manual it says you should
be
> > connected as the domain admin. You vaguely suggested how I shouldn't
have
> > installed it, and did not offer any resolution to the problem.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't consider reinstalling oracle an acceptable solution. If
> there
> > is no other solution, then fine, it will have to live as it is now, but
> > there is no reason for you to have such a bad attitude about it. Or
> perhaps
> > my interpretation of your original response was wrong, and English isn't
> > your first language....
>
> English isn't Sybrand's first language, but his essential point is
correct.
> You should install Oracle on a clean Windows system as a local
> administrator, and then problems such as you appear to have simply don't
> arise. I dare say that with a week or so of paid consultancy, they could
all
> be worked around. But the simplest, fix-it-in-an-hour-or-so, approach is
> uninstall the lot, and then to re-install following the advice in the
> installation guide for Windows *exactly*.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Thanks. Unfortunately, it was paid consultants who did the install! Even more unfortunately, the system is now live, and it is going to be very difficult to arrange a reinstall!

I guess we will just have to live with it.

As a work around, if I edited the Oracle configuration files so that the database was set to "startup" automatically when the instance starts (as a Windows 2000 service), I presume that will get around my problem, in that at least I won't need to connect with SQLPLUS /NOLOG and run STARTUP...

Or am I still grasping at straws?

Thanks Received on Mon Jun 28 2004 - 14:26:21 CDT