Re: Takes hours to create a New Database

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:03:58 +1000

Oracle Newbie apparently said,on my timestamp of 28/06/2004 2:25 AM:

>>It can. Depends how fast your disk drives are. It is creating one from
>>scratch instead of recovering the one it ships with. You probably do not
>>have to create multiple databases.

Here is the solution, Newb. Use the default general purpose database. Once you know the ins and out of the product, you'll be able to create additional special purpose databases in much better time. However, pay attention to what is a "database" in Oracle. Please stay with me.

> Thx. So what's the efficient way to create a new schema? Suppose I want to
> create a schema with 3 tables ( customers, orders, payments )

Jim answered it:

 >>user and whatever tables and database objects you want for that user.
 > (Which
 >>is probably not that long)

A schema in Oracle is NOT the same as a database instance. A database instance (what it creates in the install) can have MANY schemas.

Just use the default general purpose install database instance, then add a user to it and create your tables as that user. Bingo: your "schema" is in that user now. You can have heaps of these, all independent from each other.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto