Re: Takes hours to create a New Database

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:11:18 GMT

"Oracle Newbie" <f93c0532_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2k89cuF17jgvgU1_at_uni-berlin.de...
> I've installed Oracle9i Database on my Windows XP running on AMD K6 500
(192
> MB RAM )
> With the Database configuration assistant I created a General Purpose
> database which was done in about 15 minutes. But when I tried to create a
> 'New Database' it took at least 2 hrs to get to 4th of the following steps
> and only 26% showing in the progress bar. Does it really take this long?
> There must be someting wrong with it.
> I stopped it, then killed it using task manager.
>
> Creating and Starting Oracle Instance
> Creating Database Files
> Creating data dictionary views
> Adding Oracle JVM
> Adding Oracle Intermedia
> Adding Oracle Text

It can. Depends how fast your disk drives are. It is creating one from scratch instead of recovering the one it ships with. You probably do not have to create multiple databases. You probably really want a different schema. (In SQL Server one thinks of creating databases, in Oracle one thinks of creating schemas.) A schema is a group of tables etc. owned by a particular owner. So it takes as long to create that as it does to create a user and whatever tables and database objects you want for that user. (Which is probably not that long)
Jim Received on Sun Jun 27 2004 - 11:11:18 CDT