Re: tough choices

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:49:37 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:

> IMHO a lot of the finegrained access control part tastes like syntacic
> sugar.
> Cheers
> Serge

Not at all. One of the core technologies in Oracle that is being leveraged here is query rewrite.

The database engine rewrites queries to enforce security rules. We not only see this in FGAC security we see this in the substitution of materialized views for tables when their use will be more efficient.

And now, carried to the logical extreme, we see it with the ADDM, in 10g, the ability to replace Siebel, SAP, and PeopleSoft junk SQL statements with far more efficient SQL without having any access to their source code.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu