Re: can not tnsping from window client to linux oracle server

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:40:54 GMT

vijay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Database : Oracle9i
> OS: Red Hat 7, Windows2000
>
> I installed Oracle9i on Linux machine. I am able to tnsping on Linux
> machine. When I tried to do same from window client it returns error
> like "TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error". May I know problem
> behind it.
>

> Regards
> Vijay

Standard troubleshooting (assuming TNSNAMES.ORA):

  1. Can you do a regular ping in the direrction you want to go? If yes -
  2. Can you do a SQL*Plus connection using a TCP-service from your TNSNAMES.ORA? If yes -
  3. How closely does your TNSNAMES.ORA entry in the Windows machine match the relevant TNSNAMES entry in the Linux machine?

Beyond that, you want to start learning Oracle Networking .... some hints at http://otn.oracle.com/obe and a lot of detail at http://docs.oracle.com

HTH
/Hans Received on Thu Jun 24 2004 - 09:40:54 CDT