Re: tough choices

From: <datab0y_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Jun 2004 06:59:52 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1088055397.21570_at_yasure>...

> Interestingly enough while it is a "chargeable option" I am currently
> consulting for a division of a very very large aerospace firm, and I
> am aware of a very very large internet retailer, that do not pay a
> premium for partitioning. I can partition every database in the entire
> corporation and not one additional cent goes to Larry.
>
> Once again ... it all comes down to negotiations.

Yeah, nothing like a $50 million dollar enterprise license deal to get you free partitioning. But that's a special case that seldom applies in my experience.

On the other hand, I've had to use both oracle 8i & 9i on prior projects *without* any partitioning due to the inability of my management to work out the extra licensing costs. At this point the free clustering/partitioning available within DB2 is an advantage - since it can't be 'left out' of a license. I can use it with all their products.

> I am beginning to
> think that too many geeks need to take some bonehead business classes.

Given that you've admitted to just throwing an rfp over the wall to sales reps - and compared db2 & oracle based on the results - it really doesn't sound like you know what negotiation means. That's a starting point, not an ending point. Combine that with your poor knowledge of db2 and I'm sure that your negotiated price was pretty laughable. Did you deliberately rig your "negotiations" to favor the product you prefer? Or is this just incompetance?

db Received on Thu Jun 24 2004 - 08:59:52 CDT