Re: tough choices

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:03:15 GMT

 > Oracle have
> introduced a new low price SE1 version with
> 10g to compete in this space which is still 3 times more expensive than DB2
> in cpu licensing and 2 times in per user
> licensing.

This is incorrect. SE1 is $4995 per CPU, or $149 per named user, with a minimum of 5 named users (i.e $745)

According to this article
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/0211zikopoulos/0211zikopoulos.html

IBM UDB WSE is $999 plus $249 per user and IBM UDB WUSE is $7500 per CPU

Based on these published numbers, SE1 is 1/3 of the price of IBM UDB WSE (via the user metric), or 2/3rds of the price of IBM UDB WUSE (via the CPU metric)

I would have hoped that an IBM representative would actually do some due diligence before posting.

> Moreover in terms of real usability, oracle fails to remind ppl
> that SE and SE1 does not include key functionality
> that oracle EE includes such as TAF,

TAF is included with SE (it does not make sense to include in SE1, as SE1 does not provide the RAC capability).

parallelism,

I assume by this you mean the big SMP optimizations such as parallel query, index, data load etc. These are not provided on SE1, the rationale being that there is little reason to support parallelism of these environments on typical 2 CPU environments. SE1 will however take full advantage of all 2 CPUs when executing a multi-user workload.

label security,

Correct - and in fact Label Security is an option to Enterprise Edition, being built on top of en EE feature called VPD (or Vitrual Private Database) Note that IBM DB2 UDB has no equivalent to either VPD or Label Security.

> perf/diag/monitoring tools etc.

SE1 does include all the automated management capabilities, such as automated optimizer statistics gathering, automated memory management, automated storage management, automated backup and recovery etc. However, it is true that the capabilities provided by the Diagnostic and Tuning packs in Grid Control cannot be used against an SE1 database target. The rationale is that in the majority of 2 CPU deployments, high end diagnosis and tuning is not a large ongoing requirement - instead, the engine should just run itself with minimum (or indeed, no) DBA intervention.

> On top of all this another
> gimmick is 'free' inclusion of RAC with SE. Yes, Oracle is trying to win on
> windows, etc.. but so far the strategy really
> has been more of a marketing ploy than realism.. something to get their RAC
> acceptance numbers up.

Interestingly enough, RAC acceptance numbers are already very, very good. However, there are a number of 2x2 node Windows clusters out there running SQLServer (or others) in active/passive mode, which we thought might be interested in getting full value out of their hardware investment. Time will tell. Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 22:03:15 CDT