Re: database market share 2003

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2004 17:35:57 -0700

gnuoytr_at_rcn.com (robert) wrote in message news:<da3c2186.0406221851.6f1a1940_at_posting.google.com>...
> nobody <nobody_at_devnull.org> wrote in message news:<40D8B1C4.6050100_at_devnull.org>...
> > Daniel Morgan wrote:

> > >[SNIP]
>

> > > There is zero demand for classes on any of these products at the college
> > > and university level too so I am not surprised.
> > >

> > Uhm why would a University waste time teaching a CIS / Software
> > engineering major about commerical products?
> >
> > You teach a student theory not applied applications.
> >
> > Oh? You meant SAP taught to Accounting grunts?
> > You must have gone to a trade school. ;-)
> >
> > Sorry but the point is that You teach theory in schools not
> > applications. But thats a whole different thread. ;-)
>
> may be not. and you may be joking. but one of the few things i
> remember from my college days is this (from a professor, in
> passing):
>
> tradesmen are guided by experience. professionals are guided by theory.

And consultants are guided by money!

My Depression-era dad used to say, learn a trade, so you can always have something to fall back on, go to college so you can become a professional - 50% or more of CEO's are lawyers. Get a job and invest in real estate. And you know what? My teaching-credentialed brother-in-law fell back on a trade (appliance repairman for Sears), and is now a retired millionaire. Just like in those millionaire-next-door books.

I had a college professor (head of a pre-med program) who more-or-less jokingly denigrated MD's as manual laborers. So there you go.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Internet death penalty for zombies.  Hmmm...