Re: Re - new datablade announced for informix

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 04:40:37 GMT

> I've deliberatly cross-posted in case I'm talking crap, to give experts in
> the other DBMSs the chance to correct me.

Well, I'm no expert, but Oracle does have a published extensibility framework, that does allow for new indexes, operators and optimizer directives to be added to the language. This is extensively used within Oracle to develop things such as intermedia, spatial etc. There is not a lot of third-party uptake of this capability, however, although some did - for instance
http://www.daylight.com/dayhtml/doc/sql/daycart_indexes.html

Anyhow, for those interested, see -
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B13789_01/appdev.101/b10800/toc.htm for a description of what is provided

> Somthing tells me I will regret

>> it though ...!

I think the whole Universal Server wars are long gone. Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 23:40:37 CDT