Re - new datablade announced for informix

From: Neil Truby <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:59:04 +0100

"Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio_at_serendipita.com> wrote in message news:cbaefd$1rc$1_at_news.xmission.com...
> Jean Sagi said:
> >
> > Ummm... I read
> > http://www.coppereye.com/coppereye_datablade.htm
> > and it looks very interesting, indeed.
> >
> > I think this could be done only thanks to the datablade architecture of
> > Informix...
> >
> > This could be done with DB2?
> >
> > Or Oracle/Sql-Server? ... ;)
>
> As far as I know, they punt their technology as an alternative to RDBMSs,
> but yes, I think this is a classic example of how easy it can be to extend
> IDS.
As I understand it, exactly. To achieve the same in DB2 or Oracle would require a code re-write, to have the index-functionality code written into the "engine" software. The datablade functionality of Informix obviates the need for this.

I've deliberatly cross-posted in case I'm talking crap, to give experts in the other DBMSs the chance to correct me. Somthing tells me I will regret it though ...! Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 18:59:04 CDT