Re: Installing Oracle OCI drivers on Linux

From: Joe Fischer <jfischer_at___fischerhome__.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:52:56 GMT

On 22 Jun 2004 09:17:10 -0700, dean_w_schulze_at_yahoo.com (Dean Schulze) wrote:

>I need to run a Java client on Linux that makes a JDBC OCI call to an
>Oracle database. I know how to install the Oracle OCI client
>libraries on windows, but can't find anything on how to get the OCI
>drivers set up properly on a Linux client.
>
>The Linux (client) box is running Suse 9.1. The oracle database
>version is 9.2. (The Oracle database is on RedHat Enterprise 2.1 but
>I doubt it matters where the database it is running.)
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Dean

        OCI drivers are supposed to be part of the Oracle client install. You'll have to include the drivers in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and normal PATH. It does not matter where the database is running but you will need the client on the box that your Java programs are running on.

        In general, the thin JDBC layer works well. I even read a book that showed that the thin driver was faster that the thick driver for some prepared statement calls.

Remove underscores from e-mail address. Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 17:52:56 CDT