Re: Move database from Sun Solarias 5.8 to HPUX 11.11 pa-64

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2004 14:35:10 -0700

Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<fjNBc.72834$Hg2.3048_at_attbi_s04>...
> DK wrote:
> > I need to move a database from Sun Solaris 5.8 to HPUX 11.11. Could I
> > install the Oracle software on the HP and copy the Oracle
> > datafiles/controlfiles, etc. from the sun machine to the hp and simply
> > start the database? The underlying file system is Veritas.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Yes, but you will need to go to Oracle Database 10g on both (were this
> operation is officially supported).
>
> Upgrade your Sun Database to Oracle Database 10g
> Install Oracle Database 10g on you HP UX machine
> Use the new cross platform transportable tablespaces capability to copy
> the relevant data files from Sun to HP.
>
> See the relevant "Transporting Tablespaces Across Different Platforms"
> OBE at http://otn.oracle.com/obe/obe10gdb/manage/transtbs/transtbs.htm

Come on, that is a long way from copying over controlfiles and starting up. The answer to the question is No. And the obe, while cool, isn't it missing something about all integrity and constraints must be in the tablespace? A lot of us are actually running stuff a little more complicated than hr.emp with a few thousand bytes.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.mygaragemuseum.com/Cars/corvettesummer/corvettesummer1.html