Re: Internal Disk/SAN DIsk for Oracle Binaries

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2004 13:11:20 -0700

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<m543d05s3hcpouuo4r3h8382lr31kmvqn5_at_4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:21:39 -0700, Daniel Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> >NorwoodThree wrote:

> >> What's your backup solution? On a very high level, if you put the
> >> binaries on the SAN, and your SAN is being backed up, that might be a
> >> good place to put it. A lot of variables there...
> >
> >I would presume any hardware would be backed up ... and there is the
> >mirror on the internal drives. How bad could it get?
> >
> >The problem with the binaries on the SAN is that the SAN may be
> >supporting multiple instances. How many copies of those binaries
> >do you think you can put on it before someone changes the init.ora
> >of the wrong one? From my experience ... two.
>
> Daniel,
>
> I can't see where that would be an issue in regards to the SAN. It
> would (almost) be a given that the SAN is supporting multiple servers
> -- each with its own unique chunk of the SAN. And at some fairly low
> level of abstraction, say, at the Oracle-to-OS interface, the fact
> that it is on a SAN vs. local drives would become indistiguishable.
> Looks to me like getting the wrong init.ora file is purely a
> management/identification issue -- not whether or not the disks are
> internal vs. external.
>
> My take is that it really doesn't matter. If the server has the
> internal disk, and it's not being used for anything else . .. but I
> do like the idea of putting most everything on the SAN if for no other
> reason than it allows it to be easily re-mounted to another server if
> need be.

Is there a significant difference in transfer speed between SAN and disk? (Some SAN are faster than internal disks). Are people using tools like sqlplus from the server command line (especially in often used shell scripts)? Instance startup and tool startup are really the only major times the executable tree is hit, I think. OAS might be a different story.

I don't know about remounting binaries on another server, though, more places than will admit it have less configuration control than would be necessary to not use the installer. How many times have we seen posts like "I copied everything over to an identical machine but it doesn't work?"

And as far as changing the wrong init.ora, it doesn't matter where anything is if they can't keep their X-Windows straight...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
What's not in your database?