Re: tough choices

From: Ian <ianbjor_at_mobileaudio.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:29:40 -0700

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Mark Townsend wrote:
>

>> datab0y_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>> For example, in the system that Daniel Morgan mentioned would cost
>>> around $80k/ CPU with oracle. That would include
>>> enterprise edition $40k
>>> + partitioning $10k
>>> + RAC $20k
>>> + advanced security $10k
>>> -------
>>> $80k / CPU
>>>
>>> I mentioned before that DB2 workgroup server would do that job at
>>> about $7.5k/CPU, or about 10% of the oracle cost.
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> A couple of things should be pointed out with this comparison
>>
>> 1) You are comparing IBM's workgroup server unlimited edition ( IBM
>> DB2 WUSE, limited to 4 CPUs and 32 bits, targeted at small web serving
>> environments) with Oracle's Enterprise Edition. A better
>> apples-to-apples comparison would be IBM's workgroup server unlimited
>> edition pricing, with Oracle's Standard Edition One (limited to 2
>> CPUs) or Standard Edition (limited to 4 CPUs, inlcuding RAC support
>> for up to 4 CPUs in a cluster).
>>
>> Comparative based prices are then
>>
>> Oracle SE1 4995 per CPU
>> IBM DB2 WUSE 7500 per CPU
>> Oracle SE 15000 per CPU (includes RAC)
>>
>> 2) IBM has no equivalent to Oracle's Partitioning or RAC option, so
>> I'm not sure why you would even try to include them in a comparison.
>> They also require an additional Tivoli product to provide the same
>> capability that Advanced Security option provides.
>

> Not that dread mention of Tivoli to provide equivalent security. Every
> time I bring that up the blue suits go into attack mode.

 > I also note

> that in the comparisons not once was the DPF price or the required
> add-on for HA included even though just one or two posts earlier
> everyone agreed that they were essential.

  1. DPF is not a high availability feature. DPF provides for scalability only. HA is a completely separate issue, and works with DB2 regardless of which packaging (Express, WSE or ESE).
  2. There certainly may be some cost for the associated HA product, like HACMP/Sun Cluster/Veritas Cluster/MSCS/etc. I don't know about that pricing. But, IBM does not charge anything extra if you want to plug DB2 in to a cluster manager -- the tools are provided by IBM for free to plug DB2 into a cluster manager.