Re: 9i on Windows 2000 Server Workgroup

From: fu manchu <leondobr_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:30:30 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:25:26 GMT, Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote:

>Never had a problem - don't even have Domains involved in my ennvironment so
>everything is a Workgroup (although have set up in a customer's env where
>Domains were the standard so that works as well). I've done this literally
>hundreds of times.
>
>It has never mattered whether I install the software, create an instance, or
>both.
>
>The one consistent irritation with W2K is that is will only load the TCP/IP
>subsystem if it wants to, based on what it thinks it detects. As a result,
>I may not get the little computer network icon on the system tray, or it
>may only work for MS networking and not TCP/IP.
>
>Where you might be running into a problem is that Oracle requires a full
>fledged TCP/IP stack with a valid address and TCP/IP domain (well, almost).
>
>You need the TCP/IP subsystem installed and, if no other way, have entries
>in the /etc/hosts files (fond in C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc)
>
>HTH
>/Hans

Thank you.

I think this may be on track to what I'm looking for. How do I check that I have a full fledged TCP/IP stack with the TCP/IP subsystem installed?

When I install Windows 2000 Server, I let it install the default network settings and use DHCP for all addresses. (This works fine on a domain, probably because the DNS knows this stuff, I guess). Should I be using fixed addresses on a workgroup? Any other settings? I'd think the hosts file only works so long as DHCP keeps you at the same address.

The problem really is that I cans start the listener service and get a connection, but once I have a connection, the listener stops. The connections stays. Then if I restart the listener I can get another connection and then the listener stops again. I've done a little work-around by going into the listener service properties and telling it to always restart on an error, Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 06:30:30 CDT