Re: fast_start_mttr_target value is ignored

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:22:08 +1000

"Jack" <admin_at_stirlingonline.com> wrote in message news:7a80a637.0406212047.6dbccf0d_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi Howard, All I've done is:
>
> SQL> CREATE spfile FROM pfile;
>
> I didn't touch any parameter settings. Take a breath. Go to the happy
> place. I'm not making changes to this willy nilly.

First, you can drop the smart comments about taking breaths and going to "the happy place".

If you re-read this thread, you will see that I originally suggested that there was confusion between using an init.ora and an spfile; that I had to seek your re-assurance on that point; and that we have taken this step by step ever since, eliminating one possible source of error at a time. It is *not* a minor detail to suddenly alter your entire mode of operation, silently and without mentioning it, particularly when doing so takes us right back to the very first question I asked of you. If you can't see how immensely irritating it is to have the very things already eliminated as a possible problem re-introduced by a user deciding to 'experiment' on their own, and without telling the person trying to help what they've done... all I can say is, you've obviously never worked on a help desk then, have you? Help is provided, not through telepathy and me magically guessing what you're up to, but by the user telling the complete and accurate truth about their situation, and forgoing the pleasures of dabbling experimentation on their own.

Second, any time you get a 'feature not enabled' error message, it's time to check what you've paid for. In your case, if you check this page:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96531/ch5_edit.htm#66165

...you will discover that Fast Start Recovery is not available in the Standard Edition. Which makes it all the more interesting why you originally posted "I have an Oracle 9.2 EE instance running on Win2K." Because I suspect very much that statement not to be the complete and accurate truth.

You might care to do a select * from v$option to check what edition of Oracle you are actually running. It would appear *not* to be the Enterprise Edition.

HJR