Re: tough choices

From: <datab0y_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2004 05:28:16 -0700

"Mark A" <nobody_at_switchboard.net> wrote in message news:<VrvBc.46$bn.108209_at_news.uswest.net>...

> If you want an unlimited number of connections, then you can purchase the
> DB2 Workstation Server Edition Unlimited Edition, which charges on a CPU
> basis (I don't have pricing for that) rather than number of simultaneous DB2
> connections.

I think this product is about $7500/CPU. Not sure if you need any extenders at all - since limited text search is already available within the base product. So, about $30k total plus HACMP would do it.

Personally, I have never used a db2 extender, and as a rule avoid all database extensions (whether oracle, db2, or whatever). The idea of using the nasty built-in ETL, content management, etc that comes with either of those products gives me a sour stomach. Not just because of the vendor lock-in either, the database vendor implementations are usually bizarre. Received on Mon Jun 21 2004 - 07:28:16 CDT