Re: How to i check how often my redo logs switch??

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:31:30 -0700

Edwinah63 wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> hopefully easy questions!
>
> i have read in an Oracle manual that redo logs should be sized to
> switch approx every 30 mins. unfortunately, said manual did not say
> how to check how often it is switching.

Sounds like nonsense to me. More one solution fits all mythology.

> How do i check:
> * how often my redo logs switch?

SELECT *
FROM v$log;

SELECT *
FROM v$log_history;

http://tahiti.oracle.com

> * can i specify an interval to switch logs?

No! Resize the log files if you think 30 minutes is some magical value ... it isn't.

There are book reviews at http://www.psoug.org.

I'd ignore those at amazon.com as it has become apparent to everyone that some of the reviewers are actually the authors or their friends.

> i am a newbie oracle dba and have just put a database into production
> (incorrectly set up no doubt!!!).

Whose complaining?

> the idea of reading the 810 page pdf from Oracle is daunting......

Then find another profession. A DBA that doesn't see continuing education as a requirement will not last long. Sort of like an attorney that doesn't keep up with case law.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu