Re: tough choices

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:50:12 -0700

datab0y_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1087748956.675560_at_yasure>...
>

>>I am having a hard time believing that based on the pricing I've seen.
>>Do you have any actual quotes on equivalent systems, priced within the
>>last year, that support this contention?
>>
>>What I mean by equivalent systems is that you include ALL costs. Not
>>just the base database.
>>
>>Because every time I have done the pricing DB2 has been more expensive.

> Really? How do you configure db2 to get it more expensive than
> oracle? The only time db2 really seems to become expensive is when a
> project specifies UDB ESE and should be using workgroup. Then you can
> find folks spending $25k+ / CPU when they only really need about $7k+
> / CPU.
Lets assume, as that is the subject of this thread, that they need high security, range partitioning, high availability, and failover. All things one would get in Oracle's EE? Lets further assume they need an equivalent support agreement. Lets put both solutions on identical hardware ... say Intel P4s with 4CPU and 8GB RAM with a NetApp 910 filer head and Linux EL AS 3 Update 2. And lets assume that the application requires full text searches of documents such as PDFs. In short ... the application I am pricing right now for a division of a very large aerospace company. Can I do better with DB2?

If you think I can ... feel free to communicate that fact to a sales rep. Because that is not consistent with the quotes I've received.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)