Re: tough choices

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:04:12 GMT

> Range partitioning is not directly supported in DB2, but the same thing can
> be done with multiple tables and a UNION ALL view, and the optimizer will
> only query the table required.

There is an implication here that Range Partitioning in Oracle and UNION ALL table views in DB2 are equivalent. They are not. UNION ALL views in DB2 are equivalent to UNIOn ALL views in Oracle. There are many additonal things you can do with Range Partitioning, including global indexes. That why Oracle implemented Range Partitioning (Oracle8) after it had implemented UNION ALL views (Oracle 7.1)

> This has many benefits from a DBA standpoint
> where partitions have historical data partitioned by date, because once the
> date has closed, the table can be backed up without continuously backing up
> a much larger partitioned table as new transactions are added to the same
> table in Oracle.

There is an implication here that DB2's UNION ALL views better support rolling window operations than Oracle's Range Partitions. They are not. A major design point of Range Partitions when they were provided in Oracle8 was to add better support for rolling window operations than what could be done for UNION ALL tables. You can, of course, back up 1 or as many partitions in a range partitioned table as you want to. That's sort of the point.

> The admin cost of adding new tables is about the same as adding new
> partitions for each month (in an Oracle range partitioning scenario). This
> can be done manually or automatically via application software. One example
> of an application that uses multiple tables for time periods instead of
> range partitioning is a check archive system by Viewpointe Archive Services:
> http://www.viewpointearchive.com/default.aspx?pageid=5

Hmm - seems to require a LOT of help from IBM to make it work however -

"In addition to on demand storage, the IBM solution includes fully managed hosting for Viewpointe’s IBM pSeries™ servers running the AIX® operating system, as well as management of the advanced storage area network (SAN)."

"To help Viewpointe manage its architecture and expand its capabilities, IBM has a team in place that is dedicated completely to the Viewpointe solution. The team includes a director of operations, who is responsible for the smooth day-to-day operation of Viewpointe’s applications. Through this single point of contact, Viewpointe has rapid access to a full-time staff with a wealth of technical experience, as well as a deep background in check processing.

A chief technical architect helps support Viewpointe’s existing infrastructure and develops new requirements as new clients are brought on or new product functionality is added. Another IBM manager leads a solution design and delivery team that develops, codes, tests and implements new product offerings. There is even a dedicated business development manager who provides IBM sales resources during Viewpointe’s sales process and works to increase IBM sales teams’ awareness of Viewpointe’s product offering."

So let me understand this - IBM designs it, codes it, tests it, hosts it, and sells it. What does Viewpointe the company actually do ? IBM reference calls ?

<snip>

> 99.9% of customers and applications would not notice much
> difference.

<snip>

> Yes DPF is an additional cost on top of the ESE license. Even so, it is less
> expensive than an equivalent Oracle system.

I guess if has to be if you have to also factor in the service cost of an IBM Director of Operations, IBM Chief Technical Architect, an IBM Development Manager and IBM Development Team, and an IBM BDM. By my count, that's at least 3 million a year fully loaded before you even buy a single peice of hardware. Received on Sat Jun 19 2004 - 20:04:12 CDT