9i on Windows 2000 Server Workgroup

From: fu manchu <leondobr_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:07:41 GMT

Has anyone ever managed to install Oracle 9i 9201 ES on Windows 2000 with a workgroup rather than a domain?

The install has worked every time for me on Win2000 on a domain, but I've tried at least six installs on a workgroup and every time the listener bombs out with error 12415 and no log info. It generates a Windows memory error and stops. I once converted a workgroup to a domain and then the same install ran fine after failing twice on the machine configured as a workgroup.

I'm using the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora generated by the Network Assistant for TCP as follows:

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File:
E:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\listener.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = beast)(PORT = 1521))
      )

    )
  )

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
E:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LEND92 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = beast)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = lend92)
    )
  )

Am I naming something wrong? I named the instance global name = lend92 same as the SID.

I can ping beast, 127.0.0,1, localhost, etc.

The SQLplus show parameter commands return stuff that looks completely normal. But the listener cannot see the instance. Received on Sat Jun 19 2004 - 18:07:41 CDT