Re: tough choices

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:45:52 -0700

Mark A wrote:

>>Please correct me if you think I am incorrect. But losing a single node
>>with RAC can not deprive users of access to data. The system continues
>>to run with no effect other than the loss of a few CPU's and their
>>associated RAM.
>>
>>With DB2 I could lose a node and either lose access to some of the data
>>or, worst case, lose the entire database application.
>>

> Do you mean loose the database permanently or just until a fallover can be
> accomplished or the hardware repaired? I don't know of a situation where
> data would be lost permanently unless there was a multiple disk failure
> affecting both the data and logs.

I meant only until it is brought back on-line. DB2 is far more robust to become ashes ... just toast. ;-)

> the

> Of course it is supported by the optimizer. The use of multiple partitions
> enables parallel database access (inter-partition parallelism).
> Intra-partition parallelism is available even on a single partition system
> in certain circumstances.

So the optimizer knows that a query not requiring information from all but one partition can and will query only the single partition?

>>>To the best of my knowledge DPF is offered on all supported platforms of
>>>DB2 for LUW.
>>
>>Not according to:
>>http://www.developer.ibm.com/tech/faq/individual?oid=2:82779
>>

> I don't know exactly what statement you are reading, but DPF (partitioning)
> is available on DB2 ESE for Linux, UNIX, and Windows. These are the
> platforms known as LUW.

Thanks. But still limited to ESE and still an additional license cost. Is that correct?

Thanks.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu