Re: tough choices

From: Mark A <nobody_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:17:43 -0600

> Please correct me if you think I am incorrect. But losing a single node
> with RAC can not deprive users of access to data. The system continues
> to run with no effect other than the loss of a few CPU's and their
> associated RAM.
>
> With DB2 I could lose a node and either lose access to some of the data
> or, worst case, lose the entire database application.

Do you mean loose the database permanently or just until a fallover can be accomplished or the hardware repaired? I don't know of a situation where data would be lost permanently unless there was a multiple disk failure affecting both the data and logs.

> >> Correct me if I am wrong ... but it seems DPF
> >> is an extra cost add-in only available on ESE systems with that some
> >> functionality only works on AIX. One question ... is it supported by
the
> >> optimizer?

Of course it is supported by the optimizer. The use of multiple partitions enables parallel database access (inter-partition parallelism). Intra-partition parallelism is available even on a single partition system in certain circumstances.

> > To the best of my knowledge DPF is offered on all supported platforms of
> > DB2 for LUW.
>
> Not according to:
> http://www.developer.ibm.com/tech/faq/individual?oid=2:82779

I don't know exactly what statement you are reading, but DPF (partitioning) is available on DB2 ESE for Linux, UNIX, and Windows. These are the platforms known as LUW. Received on Sat Jun 19 2004 - 14:17:43 CDT