Re: tough choices

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:32:56 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
> >Oracle does not use the word federated to describe any part of its
>

>> architecture and I assumed Microsoft's definition had been stolen from
>> DB2.

> I may blame Microsft for a lot, but "federated database" is a computer
> science term. Here is a random link with a definition.
>
> http://www-lsi.upc.es/bloom/home.html
> Cheers
> Serge

Thanks but I know the computer science definition of these words ... what I don't know is how they have been used, this week, within the context of a marketing and sales organization.

Consider, for a minute that the word 'database' doesn't have the same meaning between products. Once you understand that ... you don't take on faith much of anything without a dictionary current to the last advertising campaign.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu