Re: tough choices

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:46:13 +1000

"Michael Austin" <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com> wrote in message news:LVGAc.1638$XX2.367_at_newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
> So which is correct? HJR says that "transactions" don't survice only
> the select statements. Howard, isn't a select statement ALWAYS a part of
> a transaction?

No. A transaction is initiated with an insert, update or delete and terminated with a commit or a rollback.
Selects don't (ordinarily) take locks in Oracle. They are not transactional.

Some people talk about selects as though they were transactions. I don't. And those people would be wrong, IMO.

> Daniel, just curious, but have you tested the durability
> and survivability of "transactions" and what were those finding?
> Example: Bank transaction moving $$$ from one account to another... and
> yanking the power cord in the middle etc...

There's no possibility for confusion here. If you are transferring money (inserting to one account, deleting from another) and the power goes in the middle, the entire transaction is lost, and does not fail over (the user connection will fail over 'transparently', but the work that user was in the middle of is lost. Permanently. It has to be re-input from scratch). TAF only works with selects.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 16:46:13 CDT