Performance Diagnosis

From: Matt <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2004 07:48:41 -0700

Anyone have any idea how to diagnose the cause of the 'rdbms ipc reply' wait event....

A session will wait on this event when it waits for a background process to respond to a request. However is there any way to determine what background process..?

This event accounts for a significant amount of the total response wait during the batch run (> 40%).

AFAIK 'rdbms ipc message' is an idle event but 'rdbms ipc reply' is not.

I've seen a note on Metalink which says that Truncating tables causes DBWR to flush blocks from the cache, and while this is happening the server process will wait on 'rdbms ipc reply'. We have a large buffer cache which could be a cause of a high wait time on this event.

Are there any other causes of this event...

Matt Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 09:48:41 CDT