Transparent Application Failover Clarification

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2004 20:12:48 -0700

I have read that TAF can be used for standby database, data guard, RAC, shutdown/restart of a database instance, etc. TAF seems like an interesting feature for resume of select statements. My question is, where does Oracle store information
about select statements, state of database etc when TAF is used to switch to
fail over database. Information is obviously not in the database instance. Is it
on client, if yes where. I know only those applications which use OCI underneath directly or indirectly can make use of TAF. So, is information
about select statements stored in memory of client process (i.e. in client process which has linked with OCI libraries)? What is the overhead of TAF since
it has to maintain information about the select statements Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 22:12:48 CDT