Re: database market share 2003

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2004 15:01:54 -0700

"Data Goob" <datagoob_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<aFWzc.370$9l2.41_at_fe40.usenetserver.com>...

> Actually, the necessity for training is a lot like the need
> for a help desk for your software. If the software is built
> correctly, the user-interface and online help should deter the
> need for a lot of 'training' or help-desk support. If your
> help desk is inundated with a lot of calls, what does that
> say about your software? If you need a lot of training, what
> does that say about the design of the interface?

HR clerk: "Hellow help desk? All the payroll data disappeared, and I can't find anything about that in the help."

Help desk: "Uh, you better call the payroll software vendor about that."

> To the credit of Microsoft, they have a pretty darn good database
> for the mid-range market, especially for SMB's that can't afford
> a DBA. SQL-Server is very robust, takes a lot of abuse, and is
> pretty good with a lot of different applications. It can literally
> run for years without much attendance by anyone knowing what they
> are doing with it--this comes from my own personal use of the
> product in our environment and we have done a lot with it. It's
> not my favorite, but certainly it's not difficult to use or abuse,
> and has rarely if ever failed us. Failures were always user
> problems.

HR Clerk: "Hello, all my payroll data disappeared. What do I do?" [back and forth of a few details.]
Vendor: "Well, you better restore the master database." HR Clerk: "Restore...?"

User problems. No DBA needed. Riiiiiiight.

> > > An Oracle Fellow, that would be hilarious.
> >
> > No more than a MCSE...
>
> Can't argue with that.

Yeah, they're trying to call them Oracle Masters, but few are taking the bait.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Lord save us from marketspeak that takes our jobs.