Re: Insert Multiple Lines into long or varchar2 field

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:59:18 -0500

On 17 Jun 2004 10:18:42 -0700, wangxianlg_at_yahoo.com (Alan) wrote:

>How can I insert Multiple Lines into long or varchar2 field and when
>application gets data back also in Multiple Lines format.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Alan

It's all just a string of bytes. What defines a 'line'? Where is it going when you get it back, that will interpret whatever it is that defines a line?

How about this: each 'line' goes in it's own colum, in it's own row in a dependent table.

CREATE TABLE purch_ord (
  po_id varchar2(5)
  po_other_stuff .....
)

CREATE TABLE po_some_multiline_text (

  po_id varchar2(5)
  po_line_id number
  po_line_text varchar2(80)

)

with appropriate primary and foreign keys. Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 12:59:18 CDT